Saturday, March 26, 2011

How To Avoid Serious Sunburns During The Summer

Summer is an awesome time of the year, a brief repose from the likes of schoolwork and business, for kids at least. Either way, it can be a bit of a chore for those of us with Vitiligo because it is really easy to burn your depigmented spots in the hot summer sun. So I've prepared a set of tips and tricks to help you get the most out of the summer months while avoiding severe burns and increased risk of skin cancer.

Surviving Summer 101

Tip #1: Don't Underestimate Sunscreen
The first and most important thing to remember about keeping your skin safe during the summer season is to always use sunscreen, whenever you go outside carry it with you at all times. I feel like the easiest way to do this is to go to the store and buy a bunch of travel size sunscreen bottles, and make sure they have a high SPF, I typically choose 50 or 75. Put these bottles everywhere, to the point where it is nearly impossible to not have one on hand. I keep one in my car, my backpack, my swimsuit pocket, and sometimes in my pants pocket. If you're a girl, I'd highly suggest keeping one in your purse. Once you have these set up to your liking, the key is to use them as often as possible and reapply them every 2-3 hours. If you're like me and hate the feel/smell of sunscreen, I understand how it feels but doing it is well worth saving your skin in the long run. 

Tip #2: Don't Be Afraid To Take Breaks
While it is inevitable that you will spend lots of time outside in the summer sun, and believe me there is nothing wrong with this, you need to understand that regardless of sunscreen, prolonged exposure to the sun can be very damaging to affected spots of skin. So never be afraid to take a break and go inside for a while or spend some time in the shade, because the more often you allow your spots to recover from the sun the better. You should also seize these opportunities to reapply sunscreen as needed.

Tip #3: The More Clothing The Better
Now I understand that summer can be hot, I mean really hot, so the urge to wear shorts and a tank top is not without reason, but little changes in wardrobe can make a lot of difference. If you can stand it, wearing jeans pretty much eliminates all the worry for spots on your legs. Unless you apply lots of sunscreen to your shoulders, I would not recommend wearing anything more revealing than a t-shirt, but also don't go crazy and overheat yourself with something like a long sleeve shirt. The secret to skin safety is really about knowing yourself and applying this knowledge in the form of my last tip, listed below.

Tip #4: Be Aware
Regulate yourself as you see fit, don't do anything that is going to make you uncomfortable during the joyous days of summer. You've got to know that the more exposed your skin is, the more attention it will require in order to not get hurt. It is a matter of noticing when spots are getting pink, and knowing that it is a good time to take a break when this occurs. You've got to be aware of your body to be on top of countermeasures.

2 comments:

  1. I have never really considered the risks of me getting skin cancer. I usually just load up on sun screen because I tan very easily, and very unevenly. Another plus for me is that I actually enjoy the smell of sun screen….. I just don’t like the way it feels. So usually for me I will get non-greasy (like a sports) sun screen with a high spf. I’m not sure if sun screen keeps you from tanning but I choose to believe it does and I still use it religiously in the summer. I don’t usually put sunscreen on my legs though, just because I have never really had my legs burnt.. also because my legs are about 2 lighter shades than my arms are. Your post was very informative, I’ll keep your tips in mind. 8)

    -Angela Yi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is a very informative blog and inspiring blog! Now that I think about it i think I have crossed a hand full of people with VItiligo but I had no idea what it was called at the time.

    But anyway, I just wanted to stop in and drop this little nugget of knowledge a lot of people tend to forget or do not realize:

    "Exposure to sunlight during the winter months puts you at the same risk as exposure during the summertime." ~ WebMD

    http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/guide/sun-exposure-skin-cancer

    I know that winter has already passed by but I think this still applies, especially for people with Vitiligo or sensitive skin. The same thing applies to cloudy days. The worst sunburn I have ever gotten was a day at the lake on an extremely cloudy day.

    Great blog! Keep up the good work!
    -JustinW

    ReplyDelete