Sunday, March 27, 2011

An Interesting Quote...

I was in the process of reading a book on Vitiligo that I plan on reviewing in a later blog post; and in the middle of the book, I found a quote from the author, Lee Thomas, that really jumped out at me as summing up the way I view Vitiligo now as opposed to when I first got it.

"The first speck freaked me out--- someone actually tried to wipe it off! You think the face is the definition of self, but I've formed a clearer picture. Now, I wear the mask of a superhero" [1]

When I happened across this quote, torn from the middle of a novel by Lee Thomas called Turning White: A Memoir Of Change, it immediately jumped out at me and I knew I had to share it with you guys. I don't think Lee could have summed up my feelings any better than he did here, because it's a feeling of comfortability that just happens. You'll know it when it does, because everything snaps into place, and you become comfortable with yourself. You begin to view Vitiligo as something that sets you apart from the masses in a positive way. Granted this may happen earlier on for some rather than others, especially depending on the seriousness of your individual case, but when it does you will feel so many days of self-consciousness quickly dissipate into history.

I hope this little post helps you out in some way, because I feel the gravity of that quote is very large, especially to those of us who have experienced the tougher times with Vitiligo. If you are feeling stressed out, alone, or are just looking for a good read, I suggest this book, Turning White: A Memoir Of Change. I just finished it, and can honestly say that it offers a lot of positive vibes. 


Works Cited

[1] "Turning White: A Memoir Of Change"Thomas, Lee. Published 2007. Read 4-3-2011

1 comment:

  1. Hey I like this! I'm a superhero too :). I think it's that fact that he accepts himself and it creates a bigger picture among his fellow readers. Whatever he thinks could be anything, and his faults become his superpowers or in other words, greatest tools to succeed.

    ReplyDelete